Crepes are one of the most functional foods that I am aware of. You can eat them plain, savoury or sweet. They can be enjoyed hot, cold or room temperature. They cook quickly and keep well. They look fancy but are super easy to make.
These crepes are packed with spinach and yet your whole family will love them. I served them at room temperature for dinner because I wanted something quick and tasty but not a heavy meal. Max ate them plain with butter and said that the Green Pancakes made his belly happy. Score one for mom!
I stacked the leftover crepes with a paper towel between each one and put them in the fridge in a Ziploc bag. Two days later I served them to Josh, the man who detests leftovers. I simply smeared cream cheese on the cold crepes, then layered on tomato slices seasoned with salt and pepper and topped it all off with diced avocado. He liked them better than he did the first time I served them. Score another one for me! I just may keep these in the fridge all the time for a quick snack or lunch!
- 5oz baby spinach
- 1½ cups of whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1¼ cups of flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 TBS butter
- Puree spinach with milk in a food processor.
- Add eggs and blend.
- Mix salt and flour together.
- Add dry ingredients to processor and pulse until mixed.
- Stir in 1 TBS of melted butter.
- Pour ⅓ cup of batter in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Flip when dry (it takes less than two minutes).
- Cook an additional minute and remove from pan.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup of finely diced onion
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1¼ cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: thinly shaved ham, browned in skillet and chopped
- Caramelize ⅓ cup of finely diced onion in 1 TBS of olive oil.
- Tilt skillet so that extra oil is pooled and add minced garlic to the oil.
- Cook 1 or 2 minutes, or until you can smell the garlic cooking.
- Put ricotta, nutmeg, salt, pepper, onions and garlic in a food processor and pulse until mixed.
- Stir in Parmigiano Reggiano and set aside until crepes are ready.
- Spread 2 - 3 TBS down center of each crepe.
- Optional: Place a few pieces of ham on cheese mixture and roll crepe.
Try these on your family and let me know if the green goes over!