Breakfast, lunch, dinner. Repeat. Ad infinitum. That is the story of motherhood in a nutshell. I love cooking and eating food but, as the mom of a picky eater and the wife of a guy who likes to eat 6 small meals a day, I get so tired of the process sometimes. And I don’t think I am the only caregiver out there who dreads hearing their kids or partner say, “I’m hungry” or “What’s for dinner?” So, the moral of this story is that moms should not have to cook on Mother’s Day. At all. Someone else needs to make all the plans and do all the work and the clean up, especially the clean up.
Where To Eat In Calgary For Mother’s Day
If you want to take your mom to brunch (these are not listed in order of preference):
- The Calgary Zoo Our family loves brunch at the zoo, it’s very casual but the food is good and there are enough options for everyone in the family, even the picky eaters! Mother’s Day is extra special at the zoo. They will give Mom flowers and the kids can spend time at the craft table making their own gift for Mom. You need to purchase your tickets before you go, either by ordering on-line or by calling Guest Relations.
- Notable We have been very impressed with Notable and, after seeing their special Mother’s Day Brunch Menu, I feel very comfortable recommending that you take your Mom there on Sunday. I also love that kids under 6 eat for free!
- The Brasserie Kensington One of my favorite places in Calgary, The Brasserie will treat your Mom like she deserves to be treated. I recommend you order her a Pimms Cup as soon as you are seated. There are only a few reservations left, so call soon! They have extended their normal business hours of 10-2 and will be open from 9-3 this Sunday. There will be a pop-up brunch downstairs at Winebar Kensington for any overflow. Call 403-457-4148 for reservations.
- Market Recently opened, and in my opinion, one of the most exciting restaurant concepts in Calgary, Market is hosting their first ever Mother’s Day brunch. FYI you should totally be following Market’s Executive Chef Dave Bohati on Instagram because his food pics rock! http://instagram.com/chefbohati
If you want to take your mom for a casual lunch
- Clive Burger If your mom loves burgers, this is the place you should take her! Between the hours of 11-4PM this Sunday, bring your Mom and a picture of you and her (Mom ID to prove you’re related kind of thing) and Mom eats for free! (Value: $12): Burger with cheese + small fries + can of soda pop.
If you want to take your mom for dinner:
- CHARCUT Not only do I love Charcut, Canada loves Charcut! They were just listed in the Top 5 restaurants in the country! They are offering their regular dinner service with a very special treat for Mom after dinner. Head Bartender Chris Cho is shaking up the drinks list with a “Mum” inspired cocktail, The “Mumsy.” Made with love and mixed with Luxe, The Rosé Brut Champagne and Calvados cocktail is sweetened with sugar diamonds, Okanagan preserved peach syrup, and bitters. Served alongside a hibiscus gelee with fresh raspberries, first of the season rhubarb, and elderflower sorbet. Together, the bright floral notes and red fruit flavours pair perfectly to create CHARCUT’s feature Mother’s Day dessert. Save room for post-dessert bonbons handcrafted by Pastry Chef, Michelle Gee, the pink strawberry and lemon cake candies are flecked in 24-karat gold and neatly wrapped as a take-away gift just for Mom. That is what I call getting pampered! Reservations are filling up fast, so if you want in on this you should call right away! 403-984-2180
- Model Milk If by some miracle you can still get a reservation for dinner at Model Milk, do it. I can’t say enough good things about Model Milk or it’s chef Justin Leboe.
If you want to stay home and eat in:
- Notable Order the Happy Chicken Dinner To Go along with some seasonal vegetables and roasted fingerling potatoes and you will never view take-out the same way again. This dinner is perfect!
Do you already have plans? Where are you going?